Saturday, April 12, 2014

What's for dinner?

As the years go by, I am getting really bad about cooking for myself. Did I say bad?.....like seldom. Sandwiches and salads are so much easier and quicker with less clean-up time. I have other things that I want to do and ...sigh...have to do. Right? Right? I know you are agreeing with me.

But about once a week I make something that leaves plenty for left-overs and semi-healthy meals.  For instance a big meat loaf. I can have it with a salad or side vegetables or my favorite...meat loaf sandwiches. Yeah, yeah, I know it's still a sandwich but it isn't processed luncheon meat or fast- food take-out.

This morning, searching in the crisper for lettuce... (for a sandwich of course)...and noticed fresh peppers and tomatillos. Wow! I had forgotten about them and also the 3 pound pork roast in the freezer. Of course chili verde sprang to mind.  I dug out my slow-cooker....literally dug it out of a bottom cabinet...ohhh my knees!

Isn't this a pretty color? Yellow always makes my day a bit brighter feeling.


I have a hard time following recipes as I tend to throw in a bit extra if it sounds good or make do if I am short. This calls for a large sliced yellow onion.  Slicing? Ha! Don't need the tears, thank you. I put in a generous handful of home dried onions (thanks Mom). You all know that onions are good for you....the more the better.

Then, in went 2 fat cloves of garlic, chopped fine and 5 medium tomatillos cut into quarters. For those of you who aren't familiar with them they look like green tomatoes and add a citrusy taste to the dish. It is something like adding lime juice.



 Where was I?  Oh yeah....the recipe. 

I don't like real hot peppers so I use poblanos that give the rich pepper taste without the fire.




Sometimes I also add a sweet bell pepper, 
...but I ate that last night 
with a chunk of cheese while reading..... 




I then tossed in about a teaspoon of crushed dry oregano and a cup of water. I rubbed the pork with black pepper, powdered cumin and granulated garlic and placed the meat on top of the pile.

I started the pot on high but I will check it in a couple of hours and turn the pot to low. It will be done when the meat falls into shreds. I may even get ambitious and make fresh flour tortillas to go with it.  Maybe.

Drop by...... there will be plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear tales of your travels and suggestions as to places to see.