Saturday, July 25, 2009

Winslow, Arizona

"Well, I'm a standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona,

I'm such a fine sight to see, It's a girl, my Lord,

in a flatbed Ford, slowin' down to take a look at me..."



















The Eagles http://www.eaglesband.com/ made a hit with this town when they recorded "Take It Easy." The bronze statue and painted mural on this corner really draw the tourists into this tiny desert town. What appears to be reflections in the windows are actually part of the mural. I thought the life like eagle on the window ledge was a nice touch.

The day we were in Winslow, the town maintenance crew had several street repairs going and had put up protective tape and pylons at the curbs. Seeing that I was taking photos, one of the workers temporarily removed the tapes for me.

The wall shown is the remains of a department store, gutted in a fire. The wall with the mural was luckily able to be saved. Now there are plans for a park on the lot behind the wall. You can even buy a brick with your name on it to place in the park walkway.

Check the official site; http://www.standinonthecorner.com/ for information about the planned "standing on the corner" September Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear tales of your travels and suggestions as to places to see.