Saturday, July 25, 2009

Birthday Road Trip

NOTE: This Blog did not exist last year when I drove 8,000 miles cross country in my van. Since the family have been after me to share the trip I thought to post some of the photos and Journal entries here. So remember, it was 2008 and I am not losing it yet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Northern California, June 2008, Mom's 80+ birthday is coming up in a few weeks. I asked her how she would like to celebrate. She replied that it was just another day. Okay... so I asked if she could go anywhere where would she like to go? Well..... she replied that she sure would like to see the Atlantic Ocean. .......AhHa! .....

Road Trip!

We tossed camping equipment and a few clothes into my van and left town the next morning. Old Highway 66 was calling us through the years. On the road, photo ops were everywhere. Sadly, the digital memory stick with photos of the first two days of our road trip was lost somewhere in Texas.


On our third day we reached the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Fantastic, gorgeous, breath-taking, unbelievable! Mother Nature pulled out all the stops in creating this canyon. Words can not do it justice. (But I try)

A young elk strolled into our camp site as we were setting up. He basically ignored us and posed for photos. Our campsite was among the pines and the wind really does sound like it is whispering as it blows through the trees. We camped but the altitude combined with the heat was uncomfortable for both of us. So the next morning we headed for what we hoped would be cooler altitudes.








No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear tales of your travels and suggestions as to places to see.