Monday, January 11, 2010

Say What?

If you have read any of my blog you have probably already figured out that I have a junk-drawer mind. I really enjoy collecting bits and pieces of trivia that doesn't benefit much of anything except to amuse me. These bits and pieces also include a fascination for unusual words.

There are regional words that can be just as strange to our ears as made-up ones. Such as, bobasheely; a Gulf Coast word meaning a good friend, or goozlum; a sauce, gravy, or pudding....used in early 20th century Nebraska. These are found in DARE, the Dictionary of Regional English, which will be published next year. For more examples from this book check; http://dare.wisc.edu/?q=node/163

Doesn't bobasheely just roll off the tongue? But how will I ever work this into a conversation?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear tales of your travels and suggestions as to places to see.