Thursday, September 10, 2009

St. Louis, Missouri


Ahhh, St. Louis...the gateway to the west. There's a lot of history to uncover in this city, but we were focused on the archway. As you approach the Mississippi River from the Illinois side the first thing you see even before the river is that shining silver arch soaring into the sky. My reaction was simply WOW! It was early morning and the commuter traffic hadn't started yet so I pulled off the road on to a wide shoulder posted with no parking signs. At first I thought I might have broken something when I hit one of the deep pot-holes there, but luckily both the van and ourselves were fine. Hmmm....maybe that is why the signs were posted? Anyway...I was determined....so I hopped out of the van and started taking photos.....no prize winners but reminders of my day. All of a sudden the roadway was packed with vehicles heading into St. Louis. I jumped back in the van and waited nervously for a break in the flow and took it.....scaring myself in the process. Need I mention that I am not a brave driver?

The Arch is very impressive from a distance but is overpowering when you are standing under it. This is at the base....I hadn't dreamed it would be so huge!


The Arch is situated along the Mississippi river in a park setting. As I was standing there several heavily loaded barges came by me.

You enter the exhibit underground. There are beautiful 3-D displays on Louis and Clark, the construction of the Arch and other related things. Located here also are the tram entrances, the gift shops and the video theaters.
Yes, I said trams. There are two, one in each side of the Arch.

You ride them up the inside of the actual arch until you are standing inside the top of the arch at 630 feet. The observation area at the top of the Arch allows you a birds-eye view of the surrounding city.


This was a fun day and another "Must see" attraction crossed off my list of things to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear tales of your travels and suggestions as to places to see.