Monday, August 24, 2009

zipping through South Carolina

One of the many things that I like about the South are the massive oak trees.

While we were in the Charleston area we toured one of the old mansions open to tourists.

This one has been left un-restored, better to see the original construction and decorations
. I was especially impressed with the ceiling and molding decorations.

Some of it was plaster work.....
But a lot of the room decorations were hand carved from wood as this piece below was. Each of these larger pieces were about the size of a large dinner plate.


...as was this wall trim.

...and staircase moldings.
I suppose that my idea of a southern mansion was formed from watching movies and television. I was expecting lots of space and large rooms. So you can understand my surprise at the actual small size of the rooms. Yes, the ceilings are high and the windows tall and wide but this was done mainly for coolness. The basement kitchen had more room in it than the main living areas. And the bedrooms were minuscule! Where did they hide the chamber pot? ...and hang their clothes?...no built in closets and not much room for a cabinet either. And another worry...how did the women manage those narrow stairs while wearing long skirts? It is a glamorous thought....living in a southern mansion....but I feel that the reality would not be so wonderful.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear tales of your travels and suggestions as to places to see.